March 7, 2007

Of Monkeys and Boxing

When I was much, much younger (say 4 or 5) ;) I earned the name "Monkey toes" from my mom. I received this title because I would climb the kitchen cabinets to get things that I wanted, such as cups (I suppose I wanted to be somewhat independent). When I became a little older and climbing the kitchen cabinets posed no challenge, I moved on to climbing my family's numerous boxes. By the time I was of age to do this (say 8 or 9) we had the majority of our possessions packed up in storage units, but you see, if we need anything out of there (when I was old enough) I was sent up the boxes to find what we needed.
It was honestly quite fun. You see I have kept the name "Monkey toes" through out the years. Now we try to get Drew to do it (Monkey toes Jr) but he doesn't like to do that much. I still find myself climbing up high on towers of boxes. Such as last night I found myself climbing through our garage in my full snow gear in search of the empty boxes that had inadvertently been buried behind boxes of packed boxes (such as Christmas decorations). One such tower was quite wobbly. I was reminded of the Pirates of the Caribbean ride at Disneyland where a drunk pirate sat drinking a bottle (presumably rum) on a very wobbly stack of barrels.
After having my fun on the unstable boxes, I jumped into the depths and rescued the empty boxes. Then of course I had to get out, but that was just as fun as getting there.

Then of course there is the boxing. No we are not fighting (well maybe a few verbal punches now and then but nothing drastic). If anything we have fists full of books and papers. My father, who happens to be: a priest, a teacher and last but not least a scholar has more books and papers than I can shake a stick at. Of course my whole family tends to be rather "booky", we like nothing better than to curl up with a good book and just read the hours away. Sadly we don't have a lot of time for that at the moment. But anyway, packing up our numerous libraries is a major job.
Of the course of our many moves we have come to use what we call "the tape gun" what it does is dispense the packing tape and cut it off. A very handy devise. Over the years I have become quite good at putting together boxes (I'm also good at collapsing them but that's another post).
Over the course of many years we have moved so many times that many of our boxes look more like tape than cardboard, but what can I say? We use them until they are of utterly no more use. For example I saw a box in the garage the other day that was very, very squashed and the sides were split open from the pressure on the top. That I say is no box. It is simply cardboard, and is destined for the recycle bin by the river.

So that my friends, is what I am up, too. Monkeys and Boxing...

12 comments:

Lord of the Bricks said...

Well actualy I enjoy climbing the boxes I just don't enjoy being dragged out in the cold to do it

Digital_Dreamn said...

What about the times that it is warm out?

Lord of the Bricks said...

I don't like the spiders

Digital_Dreamn said...

The fearless adventurer is afraid of arachnids? Who would have thunk.

Lord of the Bricks said...

No one is completly fearless, even Indiana Jones was afraid of somthing

Digital_Dreamn said...

Well, he had a reason he fell into a cage of snakes when he was young... What is your reason?

Lord of the Bricks said...

They scare me

Digital_Dreamn said...

That's your only reason science-man? Nothing like Indiana Jones? How boring.

Lord of the Bricks said...

There's black Widow, Brown Recluse, Turantula, Bannana Spider, Wolf Spider, and many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many more

(I love copy paste)

Digital_Dreamn said...

Have you actually seen all of those spiders... somehow I don't think so.

Lord of the Bricks said...

No but they exist

Digital_Dreamn said...

Just because something exists doesn't mean that you have to be scared of it.