September 14, 2007

Communication

In a world of technology, being unable to communicate is frustrating. When you're a computer person and used to being on the internet, and having instant access to e-mail, friends and family, the world wide web in general, being without it is very, very annoying. Having been one the major techs at NCCC and having done stuff right up until I left, being without it suddenly is rather well, vexing. When the e-mail and various internet websites (i.e. FaceBook, Blogger and the like) are the only way you can keep up with what your friends are doing being cut off from it is really hard.

Really, though, I was doing well until a few days ago and started going stir crazy being cooped up in the Dodd Cottage. I started realizing just how cut off from the world I was. By the way, I don't have any TV at the moment either. How much more cut off can you get? The only way I can find out what is happening, is to hike through the church to my dad's office.

Don't think that I'm implying that "I don't like LA" or anything like that, I'm really enjoying it. It's just kind of boring at times. Trying to get settled in, get things going, figuring out what my place is exactly. At NCCC I knew what my role was and could do it very well; here they do not have a projector and really they don't have that many computers either. They aren't making flyers for events, they aren't making movies to help illustrate sermon points... I suppose you could say I'm out a job.

Anyway, back to the main point. Let's face it. The world revolves around instant communication now days, and when you're out of the loop, well, it can get rather boring.


PS ~ I will be getting my cable and internet soon. Hopefully tomorrow. :-)

1 comment:

Stephanie Hawn said...

hey! that's crazy! is it up yet?
you can be praying for me...i just got back from retreat. and on retreat my spleen was hurting a little and almost went to the hospital! so i could use some prayer. thanks.
hope things are settling down a bit. at least you have andrews video games to keep you company...at least until you get bored of them! haha
well i should get some homework done...LOVE YA! bye