October 8, 2007

The Opening Night

Wednesday night as my family and I were watching the African Queen, the church phone rang, at first I wonder who would be calling us at that time of night, but then I remembered the fact that since my dad is the priest, he can potentially receive calls at all hours, so I just stated talking to Mom and Drew. Then Dad started saying things like: Thursday, seven o'clock, four tickets, directions, etc.

As it turns out, the person on the phone was one of the leaders of the actors group that meets in our Parish Hall on Mondays (the ones who give us fruit). She had four free tickets to the opening night of the LA Philharmonic at the Walt Disney Concert Hall in downtown LA.

We arrived in time to see John Vought going down the blue carpet with his wife. There were of course lots of people, many in suits and dresses. Then there were some in tuxes and such, they tended to be carrying music cases and looked like musicians.

It took a while to find the person with our tickets... or should I say he found us. Curious looking man, let me tell you, but I was so happy when I heard someone in the sea of unfamiliar faces, say: "Father!" Granted that could have been confusing for some, but when your dad is a priest and everyone calls him either "Father" or "Father Kelley" you get used it it.

We get in there and climb a few flights of stairs and then take an elevator we arrived on the fifth floor balcony. There was no one up there. Well, except for the ushers. The seats, while being very high, were excellent. The first instrument I looked for by the way, Mr W, was a bassoon, and as it turned out there were four.

For my musically inclined friends (specifically the W-s) here's what they played:
• "Love Scene" from Romeo and Juliet by Hector Berlioz (1803-1869)
Shéhérazade by Maurice Ravel (1875-1937)
⁃ Asie
⁃ La flûte enchantée
⁃ L'indifférent
Ritirata noturna di Madrid by Luigi Boccherini (1743-1805) / Luciano Berio (1925-2003)
• The following are by Giacomo Puccini (1858-1924)
⁃ "O mio babbino caro" from Gianni Schicchi
⁃ Vissi d'arte" from Tosca
• "Ball Scene" from Romeo and Juliet

Shéhérazade and the music by Giacomo Puccini the orchestra was accompanied by Renée Fleming who is a soprano. She was excellent, and I should probably mention the song that was not on the list... she did "I Could Have Danced All Night" from My Fair Lady, which she had the audience sing along with her.

At the end of the performance, after we had clapped for several minutes there was suddenly a thunderous BOOM and blue and silver streams shot out the sides of the room and descended upon those below us.

Anyway, that was my adventure at the Walt Disney Concert Hall... and my first premier.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm flattered that you looked for the bassoon first off! Mrs. W. does that, because that's how she finds me: the auditorium we play in is so large (and the orchestra ghetto is so far away) that faces are relatively indistinguishable.

I envy you hearing Renee Fleming live: she's one of the best.

Berlioz is unusual in that he almost always calls for 4 bassoons, 2 on each part, for reinforcement. Most composers of his era just use pairs of woodwinds, with possibly an extra piccolo, English horn, or contrabassoon.

Anyway, I'm glad you enjoyed the concert!